For many manufactured products, the ability to accurately measure layer thickness is critical to ensure consistent quality, minimize defects and reduce material usage. Terahertz technology provides a measurement solution that has many benefits, including
- Non-contact measurements
- Works with both opaque and translucent materials
- Measures multilayer thicknesses
- High resolution and accuracy
Terahertz radiation is part of the electromagnetic spectrum lying between microwaves and the far-IR, with frequencies ranging from 0.1 – 10 THz and wavelengths from 3 mm to 0.03 mm. Terahertz radiation can be used to gauge and image through materials yielding high temporal resolution (down to a micron) and can resolve both time and amplitude information. This type of sensing has high signal-to-noise ratio, can produce images and can observe internal structures.
Multilayer Thickness Measurement
Unlike traditional measurement techniques, terahertz sensors can easily measure multiple layers with high precision. For example, with thin-wall multilayer packaging materials that incorporate an EVOH barrier layer, traditional infrared gauges cannot determine the location of the EVOH layer, and the total amount of material, and only on materials that are transparent enough to the infrared radiation. A single terahertz sensor can distinguish and measure all three of the co-extruded layers even when opaque.
Because terahertz sensor measurements are non-contact and real-time, high-precision thickness measurements can be used as feedback to improve and optimized manufacturing processes.
The ability to monitor thickness of materials in real-time during the production process is vital to maintaining a productive and efficient manufacturing line.
High-accuracy measurement of coatings and multi-layer thickness for quality control, defect inspection and maintenance applications.
- Using Online Terahertz Measurements to Improve Bottle Manufacturing
- Off-line Terahertz (THz) Measurements of Bottle and Preform Layers
- TeraMetrix Demonstrates Simultaneous Measurement of Online Tire Ply Thickness and Cord Balance at Tire Tech
- Terahertz Gauges Provide High Precision Measurements for Industrial Applications - ON-DEMAND WEBINAR